Not all genres of metal are completely dismal, some just plain rock. With NWOBHM, you're guaranteed a good time. One of my absolute favorite NWOBHM bands, that always delivers, is Girlschool. Their bad attitudes are reinforced with leather pants and bangs in their eyes. Like most NWOBHM bands, their songs are influenced by punk, but they also like to whip out the power chords and fast guitar solos. I must admit, I have found myself on several occasions dancing around my kitchen singing Girlschool songs into my spatula. Their awesomeness is contagious!
Girlschool formed in 1977 in South London by bassist Enid Williams and vocalist Kim McAuliffe. They were friends that grew up on the same street and played in a cover band together called "Painted Lady." A few years later they met guitarist Kelly Johnson and drummer Denise Dufort, and became Girlschool.
They shared a manager with Motörhead, and ended up touring with them a lot. As a result, both bands became good friends. They combined their forces to create Headgirl, and on February 14, 1981, they released an EP entitled St.Valentine's Day Massacre. It contained a cover of "Please Don't Touch" originally by Johnny Kid and the Pirates. They also covered each other's songs. Girlschool performed "Bomber," and Motörhead performed "Emergency." The EP was a big hit for both of them, and it remains a classic to this day.
This recipe was inspired by the song "Hit and Run." It features a strawberry banana cake topped with grape frosting and Runts. I know Runts are an American candy, but I have been assured that they are available in London (thanks Anne!). Feel free to sing into your spatula while you bake these.
Girlschool- Hit and Runts
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup strawberry banana Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 normal-sized bananas)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped strawberries
For the Frosting:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons grape soda
- Banana, Strawberry, and Grape Runts
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with baking cups and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour, one cup at a time.
- Add baking soda, yogurt, and vanilla. Beat until just combined.
- Using a rubber spatula/pretend microphone, fold in bananas and strawberries.
- Fill each baking cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Beat the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until it's creamy.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Add cream, and grape soda.
- Beat on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Frost completely cool cupcakes.
- Top with banana, strawberry, and grape Runts.
- Something better than pies- Hit and Runts!!
Here's the video for "Hit and Run." Enjoy!
I also really like their cover of ZZ Top's "Tush." Here's that video too:
And last but not least, here's Headgirl playing "Please Don't Touch" on Top of the Pops.