Friday, January 23, 2009

Hell Bent for Cupcakes

When I was about 10 years old, I remember watching an episode of 60 Minutes with my parents. The story they were airing was about how 2 kids tried to kill themselves after listening to a Judas Priest record. Apparently the band was accused of putting a subliminal message of "do it" in their song "Better By You, Better Than Me."
The subliminal command in the song was blamed for triggering the suicide attempt.
I remember my parents being shocked and saying, "Now Kathleen, you don't listen to this Judas Priest band, do you?!" I replied that I didn't, but I was totally thinking "Man...I should start!!!" It's funny now to think of how forbidden that was at the time.

In the documentary Dream Deceivers: The Story Behind James Vance Vs. Judas Priest, Rob Halford said if they wanted to insert subliminal commands in their music, killing their fans would be counterproductive and they would prefer to insert the command "Buy more of our records."
Good point.
When I listen to Judas Priest, I don't want to kill myself! I want to knock things over, wear leather, and bake!! Fuck Yeah!!

Judas Priest: Hell Bent for Cupcakes





Metal Constituents:
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 stick butter (room temperature)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 cup milk

For the frosting:
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 bottle (1oz.) black food coloring

Merciless Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
  3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time
  4. Add vanilla.
  5. In another bowl, combine flour and baking powder
  6. Add to the creamed mixture, and mix well.
  7. Add milk and mix until batter is smooth.
  8. Pour or spoon batter into the cupcake papers, filling about 2/3 full.
  9. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Set cupcakes on a rack to cool.
  10. To make the frosting: Over medium heat, cook the flour and milk whisking constantly until thickened. The mixture should be a lot like glue. Let cool.
  11. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
  12. Beat in the flour mixture.
  13. Stir in black food coloring.
  14. Frost completely cooled cupcakes. I topped mine with edible silver dragees.
  15. Change into chaps, get on your hog, and enjoy these cupcakes. "DO IT!!!"
Here is some footage of Judas Priest playing "Hellbent for Leather." Enjoy!!





1 comment:

Rachel said...

Judas Priest is my FAAAAVORITE!!
These are super tough & awesome looking (& I'm sure, tasting)!