Evile is a band from Huddersfield, England that is awesomely reviving thrash metal. I've really missed good thrash. Why did it ever go away? Who doesn't love the perfect marriage of hardcore punk, and the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM)?
Their entire debut album Enter the Grave is great. I honestly could have baked a cupcake for each song. The first song off this album is entitled "Thrasher." It is a masterpiece. I also recommend listening to "First Blood," a song about Rambo. Brilliant.
But if I ever found myself forced at knife point to pick my absolute favorite song from this album, I'd have to say it's "Killer From the Deep." It describes all my scariest, and therefore best, shark attack nightmares with uncanny accuracy.
To honor Evile, and the triumphant return of great thrash metal, I give you:
Evile: Cupcakes From the Deep
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons vanilla
- blue food coloring
- 1 cup red Kissables
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick butter (room temperature)
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with baking cups, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until softened.
- Add eggs and sugar; beat until well combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour in three parts, alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour.
- Stir in vanilla, Kissables, and enough blue food coloring to achieve desired ocean blue shade.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-quarters full with batter.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in the cupcake tin.
- For the frosting:In a small bowl, beat together butter, sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add enough blue food coloring to achieve desired ocean blue shade, again.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes. For that extra brutal, chummy look, I also sprayed mine with red food coloring by Wilton.
- You've entered the cupcake zone.
Enjoy this video for "Thrasher:"