Besides having a fucking great band name, they're brutal as hell.
To my dismay, they formed in 2002, and broke up in 2005. *sigh*
But they've left us all with their brilliantly heavy, sludge metal to cherish always.
Documents of Grief is their only full-length album. I suggest if you don't already own a copy, drop what you're doing and go get it, NOW.
It's okay, this recipe will still be here when you get back.
To honor the disbanded Graves at Sea, I give you:
Graves at Sea:
Black Bile Cakes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup milk
For the Filling:
- 2 cups Whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Black food coloring
For the Ganache:
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°, and line a cupcake tin with baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternatively, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners, about three-quarters full each.
- Bake until golden and tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer pans to wire rack; cool completely.
- To make the Black Bile Filling: Heat milk, ¼ cup of the sugar, the vanilla, and salt in a pan over medium until it reaches a simmer.
- Whisk egg yolks, cornstarch, and remaining ¼ cup sugar in a medium sized bowl until combined.
- Slowly add ½ cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Add remaining milk mixture slowly while whisking.
- Transfer back into the pan and heat over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until it thickens. It will thicken all of a sudden, give it a good whisk then take it off the heat.
- Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer, add the butter, and enough black food coloring to achieve the desired shade of black bile.
- Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap touching the cream, and refrigerate until cool, about an hour or so. *This can be made a day in advance*
- To Make the Ganache: Chop chocolate and transfer into a heat proof bowl.
- Heat cream until bubbles form around the edge of the pan, pour cream over the chocolate.
- Let sit for 1 minute then stir until combined.
- Add butter and vanilla and stir until all chocolate is melted and combined. If the chocolate won’t completely melt, place bowl over a water bath to finish the job.
- Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixture and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Sift powdered sugar into the mixture and beat until combined.
- Continue to beat with an electric mixer until lighter in color and creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- To assemble cakes: Once cakes have cooled completely,use a small pairing knife, and cut off the top of each cupcake in the shape of a cone.
- Flip the top over and cut off the cone.
- Using a small spoon, or a pastry bag, fill the cavity with pastry cream -I mean black bile.
- Replace the top of the cone.
- Frost cakes with ganache. I also added a touch of red decorating gel to mine.
- Your cake runneth over with blood and bile.
Here's some live footage of Graves at Sea playing "Pariah," enjoy!: