While it is a delightful tune, I'd have to say that my favorite song off the album Age of Winters is "Lament for the Aurochs."
In case you're wondering, an Auroch is a kind of extinct ox. Aurochs were also known to have very aggressive temperaments (metal) and killing one was seen as a great act of courage in ancient cultures. This probably explains why they're extinct.
Cupcakes for the Aurochs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots (about 3-4 medium carrots)
- 1 package of Cream Cheese (8oz), room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with baking cups and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, egg, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture, and stir until well combined.
- Fold in carrots.
- Fill baking cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Mix the cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla together.
- Beat at low speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add enough green food coloring to create a shade enticing to cattle.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes.
- Enjoy while awaiting the return of the Aurochs.