Not only have they successfully achieved this goal, but they've also captured my metal heart in the process. They are absolutely, without a doubt, one of my very favorite local bands.
The video for "War Metal Battle Master" from their latest album of the same name, premiered when the Horror Society Film Festival was here. Awesome!
They also have a burger named after them at the always popular Kuma's Corner burger joint.
It features Caramelized Onions, Pancetta, Brie, and Bourbon Soaked Pears. I'm not exactly sure how those toppings make it a Lair of the Minotaur burger (they're from Chicago, not France or Italy), but it seems to be a popular burger nonetheless. And Kuma's is always a fun place to hang out at. I recommend the waffle fries and as many types of beer as your liver will let you try.
Oh, and in case you're not quite sure, a Gorgon is a monster of the underworld from Greek Mythology. "Gorgos" means terrible in Greek. Medusa was one of 3 Gorgons that did not possess immortality.
To honor Lair of the Minotaur and their brutal contribution to my local metal scene, I give you:
Lair of the Minotaur: Cupcake the Gorgon
- 2 2/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 7 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 Tablespoons dark rum
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 cups vanilla batter
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- green food coloring
For the Chocolate Snakes:
- 2 cups chocolate chips, melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees, line a cupcake tin with baking cups and set aside
- Make the vanilla batter first: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir well by hand to mix.
- Add butter and mix on low speed until it becomes a smooth, heavy paste (about 1 to 2 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and rum together
- With the mixer on medium speed, beat 1/3 of the egg mixture into the flour and butter mixture. Continue beating for about 1 minute
- Stop the mixer, add 1/2 of the leftover egg mixture, and beat for 2 minutes
- Repeat with the rest of the egg mixture
- For the chocolate batter: combine rum, milk, and baking soda in a medium sized mixing bowl
- Add chocolate, whisk mixture well
- Add 2 cups of the vanilla batter, mix well
- Scoop about 3 Tablespoons of each batter into opposite sides of each baking cup
- Once all cups have been filled with each batter, take a chop stick and swirl the two batters together slightly. Only go around the cup about 3 times.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing them to a rack to cool completely
- To make the frosting: Use an electric mixer to beat the butter until it's creamy
- Add milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar
- Beat on low speed until light and fluffy
- Add green food coloring until desired shade of gorgon skin is achieved
- Frost completely cooled cakes
- To make the chocolate snakes: line a large plate or baking sheet with wax paper
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds, stir
- Repeat microwaving at 15 second intervals, stirring each time until chocolate chips are melted and smooth
- Fill a squeeze bottle or pastry bag (fitted with a small tip), with the melted chocolate
- Pipe chocolate onto wax paper in the shape of several snakes
- Place plate or baking sheet full of snakes into the freezer, and allow chocolate to harden for about 15-20 minutes
- Place snakes into frosting to make your cupcake look like a gorgon
- Enjoy your Demoness of the Grotesque
Here's some live footage featuring Larry of the Minotaur: