To honor Baroness, and John Baizley's artwork, I give you:
Baroness: The Sweetest Curse Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups (about 4) mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberry jam
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup White Chocolate chips
- 16 Yellow M&M's
- 16 edible flowers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with baking cups, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the bananas, sugar, honey, and butter.
- Beat with an electric mixer until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture in two parts, mixing well after each addition.
- Using a spatula, gently fold blueberries into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into baking cups, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Beat the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy
- Add the cream, vanilla, blueberry jam, and powdered sugar, and beat on low speed until light and fluffy.
- Pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.
- To make the "egg" topping: Place white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl
- Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir.
- Continue to heat at 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chips are completely melted, but not too hot.
- Spoon a small amount of melted white chocolate onto the top of one cupcake.
- Place a yellow M&M in the middle of the chocolate glob to represent the yolk.
- Once you've placed the M&M, place the cupcake into the fridge to help the chocolate harden, and not melt your frosting.
- It's best to make one egg at a time, on one cupcake at a time. You want the white chocolate to still be a little melty so that the M&M sticks. If the white chocolate in your bowl gets too cold during the process, just pop it back in the microwave for 10 seconds, and stir.
- I also topped my cupcakes with an edible flower. I bought these Primrose flowers at Whole Foods (they are pesticide-free).
- Curse with me, profane and sweet.
Here is some footage of Baroness playing "The Sweetest Curse" under blue gelled lights, perfect!