In honor of the holiday season, and a band that keeps on giving, I present to you:
Autopsy- Destined to be Festive Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 cup red and green M&M's
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- 1 cup green candy melts, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with baking cups, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, oil, water, and peppermint extract.
- Beat on low speed until smooth.
- Fold in M&M's.
- Fill each baking cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Beat the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint extract. Beat until smooth.
- While continuing to beat, drip red food coloring into the frosting until desired festive shade is achieved.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes.
- Place green candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir.
- Continue microwaving at 10 second intervals until chips are completely melted and smooth.
- Drizzle melted green candy over each frosted cupcake.
- Pick away at your mouldering cake.
Happy Holidays from Metalcakes!!