A) They're super awesome, Midwest metal Gods
B) They're well overdue for a new recipe baked in their honor and
C) Their new record makes me want to bake so hard!!
I don't know about you, but I feel like Skeletonwitch just keeps getting better and better. Each of their records are distinctly different, yet consistently full of black, thrashy, goodness. They show nothing but respect for their influences and originators of metal, as they carve out their own well-deserved position in metal history.
Nothing compares to their live shows. I've had the privilege, on several occasions, to witness them unleash the mayhem on a more than deserving crowd. If Overkill played a show with Mercyful Fate, and Immortal, Skeletonwitch would round out the bill nicely. Here's hoping that one day this show will be a reality. A girl can dream, can't she?
Follow their fucking hilarious tour adventures on Twitter. Especially if you like to read about cats, beer, dinosaur world, and flat tires.
In honor of these eternal road warriors, I suggest you pair these cupcakes with a microwaved gas station cheeseburger, and a Miller High Life... or ten.
The Infernal Resur-Reese's
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup Reese's Pieces (about 2 small bags), Crushed Beyond Dust
- 18 mini Reese's Peanut Butter cups
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tin with baking cups, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together both sugars and butter until well combined.
- Add peanut butter, beat until smooth.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk in 5 additions, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill baking cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Beat together sugar, butter, and salt until creamy.
- Add peanut butter and beat well.
- Add milk and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Put Reese's Pieces in a big Ziploc bag, and beat the hell out of them with a rolling pin, hammer, meat cleaver, etc. A food processor works too, but failed to help me release my pent-up aggression.
- Fold Reese's Pieces that have been crushed beyond dust, into the frosting.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with a mini Reese's Peanut Butter cup.
- On the cake of the holy ones, feed.
Also, I think it's hilarious that Dustin kept accidentally calling these cakes "Infernal Reese-Erections." Peanut Butter boner!