I missed them the last time they played in Chicago, despite the helpful efforts of the left-handed guitarist's sister Stacy. They're playing here again soon, so I've cleared my calendar. I hope they like cupcakes, 'cause I plan on baking them a batch of these!
Nate, Chance,and Scott from Skeletonwitch enjoying Beyond the Permafrosting cupcakes with me and this kid I was going out with at the time:
For these cakes, I recommend a recipe originally posted by the brilliant cupcake queen Natalie over at Bake and Destroy. When she refers to them as "The Best Chocolate Cupcakes," she's not exaggerating.
Skeletonwitch: Beyond the Permafrosting Cupcakes
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 4 Tbsp. milk
- 1 Package Berry Blue Kool-Aid (unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla until smooth.
- Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into cupcake papers and bake 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes, comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before removing to a rack to cool completely.
- To make the Permafrosting: Beat sugar, butter, milk and Kool-Aid in a large bowl on low speed until well blended and smooth.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes
- Enjoy this subzero torture under the black winter sky.