In 1982, Metal saved Tom Angelripper from spending the rest of his life working in the coal mines of Gelsenkirchen, Germany. How completely awesome to go from probably one of the worst jobs ever, to creating the best job ever -for yourself, and to still be successful 30 years down the road! Few people, if any, can say they've done the same.
Sodom's first record was more occult metal, then with Persecution Mania, they became an anti-war Thrash band. Angelripper has said in many interviews that he would like to live in a peaceful world. He feels there's not much he can do to stop wars from being fought, so he writes about them in his music, and then screams about them on stage.
In the 90s, when most Thrash Metal bands quit, or changed their style to sell more records, Sodom stayed true. During this time they released Better off Dead, Tapping the Vein, Get What You Deserve, and Masquerade In Blood. I personally recommend all four.
Sodom is considered one third of the great German Thrash Trinity which also includes Kreator and Destruction. Omne trium perfectum.
Agent Orange Juice Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice, strained (No Pulp!)
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (Grand Marnier or Cointreau)
- Orange food coloring
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons pasteurized egg whites*
- 1 tablespoon warm water
*Since this royal icing isn't cooked, you'll need to buy egg whites that have been pasteurized instead of just cracking open some eggs and using those whites.You can usually find these in the dairy section at a grocery store by the Egg Beaters.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tin with baking cups, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the orange zest and orange juice until blended (the mixture will look curdled at this point).
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk.
- Mix until just combined.
- Fill each baking cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat at high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream and vanilla. Beat for another minute.
- To fill the cupcakes: Use a paring knife, cut a small X in the center of the bottom of each cupcake.
- Hold the cupcake upside-down, and poke the pastry tip about halfway into the cupcake.
- Squeeze the filling into the cupcake until you feel a slight pressure on the top of the cake, and it begins to bulge.
- Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Set the filled cupcakes aside while you make the glaze.
- Make the orange glaze: Sift powdered sugar into a small saucepan. Stir in orange juice and liqueur to make a smooth paste.
- Heat over moderately high heat until just warm to the touch.
- Remove from heat and stir in enough orange food coloring (or about 5 drops yellow, 1 drop red) to reach the shade you desire.
- Leave the glaze in the saucepan on the lowest heat.
- Carefully dip the top of each cream-filled cupcake into the glaze, letting the excess drip off. You may need to stir the glaze after dipping each cupcake, just to ensure that it’s smooth.
- To make the Royal Icing: Combine powdered sugar, egg whites, and water in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes. Your icing should be fairly thick, if it's too thin, add more powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Across the center of each cupcake, pipe a row of horizontal squiggles, the Sodom logo, or any anti-war message that comes to mind.
- Enjoy this fire that doesn't burn.