No, it's not just a metal urban legend; In early 2010, Dixie accidentally shot off his big toe while cleaning his favorite shotgun. This caused a temporary delay in the recording of their fourth album Jason...The Dragon. I'm glad he's okay now, and I hope he's a bit more careful with the remaining nine.
Dixie also narrated the film Slow Southern Steel. Have you seen it yet? It's really great! It's a documentary about Southern culture and the Southern Metal scene. C.T. from Rwake directed and produced it. In addition to Weedeater, they talk to Acid Bath, Black Tusk, Eyehategod, Sourvein, Beaten Back to Pure, and Hank III.
They're full of bananas and Mary Jane-- candies, that is! I also used molasses in this batter, which I feel is an appropriate food equivalent to Weedeater's slow, heavy riffs. If you suffer from Glaucoma (and you like to party), here are some simple instructions on how to make a more suitable butter replacement for these cupcakes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 10 Mary Jane Candies, each cut into 6 small pieces (about the size of chocolate chips)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 1/2 Tbs milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with baking cups, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and molasses until uniform in color.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla, and continue beating.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture in 3 parts, beat until just combined.
- Add bananas, but be careful not to overmix.
- Fold Mary Jane pieces into the batter.
- Fill each baking cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into one cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Beat together sugar, butter, and salt until creamy.
- Add peanut butter and beat well.
- Add milk and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Frost completely cooled cakes.
- I bake. I need to.