Those fucking riffs! Whenever I hear one of their songs, I have to stop whatever it is I'm doing, and blissfully surrender to the crushing weight of their dirty sludge.
Frontman Troy "T-Roy" Medlin is the founding, and only remaining, original member (the mighty Liz Buckingham played on their first 2 records). He is a tireless road warrior to say the least. Sourvein does about 200 shows a year, every year. I've seen them a bunch of times, and they're even better live.
My favorite record is still their first full-length, Salvation. They also have a really great EP trilogy that came out a few years ago. I highly recommend you check out Emerald Vulture, Ghetto Angel, & Imperial Bastard. Collect all 3!
Fun Fact: T-Roy and Dixie Dave are cousins. That's one sludgy gene pool!
Sour-Patch-Vein: Salivation Cakes
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups + 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 large eggs, separated
- Juice (including the pulp) of 2 oranges
- Juice of 1 lemon (both juices should add up to 3/4 cup)
- zest of 2 oranges and 1 lemon (roughly, 2 Tablespoons.)
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325oF. Line a cupcake tin with baking cups, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the whisk attached, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- Add the oil, egg yolks and combined juices of the lemon and oranges. Continue to whisk.
- Add the lemon and orange zests, whisk until blended.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- While continuing to beat, add remaining 3 Tablespoons of sugar, one Tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the batter, in two batches.
- Fill baking cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the cakes, comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Beat butter, orange zest, and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with lemon juice and orange juice, beating at low speed.
- Beat at high speed for about 3 minutes, or until your frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost completely cooled cakes.
- Whisk citric acid and sugar together.
- Sprinkle all over each frosted cake.
- Top with one orange, and one yellow Sour Patch Kid.
And here's "Salvation" to listen to while you're baking:
RIP Mike Boone
I wrote this post, and had it ready to go long before I heard about bassist, Mike Boone, passing away in his sleep, the morning of October 6th.
A fund has been set up to benefit his wife and daughter.
Please donate if you can: http://www.youcaring.com/
memorial-fundraiser/ fundraiser-for-the-family-of- mike-boone/95304