They're pretty Venom-y, with an element of fun-time filthiness that rivals The Mentors. Also, like The Mentors, they're known for their black-hooded anonymity.
Athenar plays everything on the records, but live he plays bass while accompanied by Lord Zigar on drums, and Commander Vanik on guitar. He also likes to respond to e-mail interviews by typing in all caps. I always picture him yelling his responses at the top of his lungs while standing on the summit of a rocky cliff, that's surrounded by a lake of fire below. "I DON'T LIKE MATH."
Midnight has released a ton of EPs and splits, but Satanic Royalty is their only full-length record to date. It was released in 2011, and I was an instant fan of this record, the moment I heard it. It's just the way I like most things in my life- fast and dirty!
This recipe was inspired by a love song off Satanic Royalty, entitled "Lust, Filth, and Sleaze." It features a Blue Velvet cake to match the album artwork by William Lacey, and goat cheese frosting. That sounds weird, but goat cheese is actually not that different from cream cheese, and I use that in frosting all the time. Plus goats are pretty satanic, right down to their milk and the cheese produced from it.
Lust, Filth, and Goat Cheese (frosting)
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon royal blue gel food coloring
- 1 tiny dab violet gel food coloring
For the frosting:
- 4 oz Goat Cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- Blue powdered food coloring*
*I prefer to use powdered food coloring in frosting, because it doesn't ruin the consistency of the frosting by adding more liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake pan with baking cups, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together eggs, and oil.
- Add vanilla, and vinegar, and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk, and beat until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add food coloring and mix until well combined and even in color.
- Fill baking cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake, comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Open the goat cheese, and drain off any extra whey that may be present.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the goat cheese and butter until well combined.
- Add powdered sugar and continue to beat.
- Add vanilla and cream, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add enough powdered blue food coloring to reach desired shade.
- Frost completely cooled cakes.
- You give me lust, filth, and goat cheese (frosting).
Here is some live footage of Midnight playing "Lust, Filth and Sleaze." Enjoy!