I'm happy to say that I witnessed their first show years ago at The Underground Lounge here in Chicago. The sound guy was a total fucking dick. Seriously, I still don't know what the fuck his problem was. But anywhooo... The show was awesome, and I've loved them ever since.
I used to work at Whole Foods with the drummer Larry Herweg. One time our friend Sean was driving the Amigo down one of the aisles with Larry in the basket. The whole time Sean was singing "I've got, 2 tickets to Larr-i-dise!" *sigh* Good Times.
To honor the friend I miss, and his brilliant band mates, I present to you:
Pelican: The Fire in our Throats Will Beckon the Cupcakes
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups dark-brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
For the orange glaze:
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
For the Frosting:
- 2 packages cream cheese (8oz), room temperature
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with baking cups, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt, nutmeg, mace, and cloves.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating to combine after each addition.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into prepared cupcake tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one cupcake comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the orange glaze: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted.
- Using a toothpick, poke holes all over the top of each cupcake. Brush cakes with orange glaze while they're still warm; let cakes cool completely on a wire rack.
- To Make the Frosting: Melt butter and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, brown sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer.
- When mixture starts to stiffen, stop mixer and add honey.
- Continue to beat until light and fluffy. Do not over mix, or it will collapse.
- Spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Watch these Rock Stars in action:
Their next video should be them eating these cupcakes during the apocalypse with lots of explosions and stuff in the background. Metal.
"What the fuck do you mean there aren't any cupcakes left? Brutal."