You rock so hard, and you always project an image of success.
Originally from Seattle, Big Business is comprised of Jared Warren from one of my all time favorite bands Karp, and Coady Willis formerly of The Murder City Devils.
How could they not be totally fucking awesome?
Plus they're like total BFF with the Melvins (they played with them on their new album "Nude With Boots"). That's a metal-rific relationship, if I ever saw one.
To honor this super-fantastic, always brutal band, I give you:
Big Business: Grounds for Dessert Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark roast coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup strong brewed, dark roast coffee
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and coffee grounds in a bowl.
- Measure out coffee and milk together.
- Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
- Add about one third the coffee/milk mixture and beat until combined.**Tip: Be careful when adding the coffee/milk mixture to the batter. If you add it too quickly the mixture will look curdled. Add small amounts and beat well to incorporate**
- Repeat above, alternating flour and coffee and ending with the flour mixture.
- Scoop into cupcake papers about two-thirds to three-quarters full, these cupcakes tend to shrink a bit when they cool.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack.
- In lieu of frosting, I recommend using whip cream from a can. Brutally Delicious!