Any band that releases an album with a permeating Moby Dick theme, is alright by me.
This recipe was inspired by the 3rd track on Leviathan entitled "Seabeast."
To make these cupcakes true "beasts," I suggest you use baking cups made by Reynolds. The foil cups allow you to make cupcakes standing alone on a cookie sheet, without using a cupcake tin. They also allow you to add much more batter to each, creating a beast of a dessert.
Mastodon: Seabeast Cakes
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange baking cups on a cookie sheet, set aside.
- Wisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Combine milk and vanilla in another bowl, and set aside.
- Beat butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add sugar in a steady stream, and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low.
- Add dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the milk mixture - starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Be careful to avoid overbeating.
- In a clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold a third of the whites into batter until combined. Fold in remaining whites in two batches.
- Pour batter into baking cups. Bake until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: In a small saucepan, combine the milk and flour. Wisk over medium high heat until boiling. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- When the milk mixture is cool, add the butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer for 10 to 12 minutes, scraping the bottom of the bowl occasionally.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes.
- Don't let these beasts pull you towards the east.