Black Tusk is one of my very favorite Swamp Metal bands. In addition to Athon's impressive beard, I can't seem to get enough of their unrelenting rock. Just when you think they've given you a moment to catch your breath, they mercilessly assault you again, right in the fucking face. Getting kicked while you're down never felt so good.
This recipe was inspired by the song "Breaking the Backs of Men." It features two very Southern and Swampy ingredients: Southern Comfort and Pecans. Men like those, right?
Black Tusk: Baking the Cakes of Men
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup Southern Comfort
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
For the frosting:
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup flour, sifted
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- crushed pecans for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line cupcake tin with baking cups and set aside.
- Beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add milk, water, So Co, and Vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- In separate bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 batches, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Fold in pecans.
- Scoop batter into baking cups filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the Frosting: Stir together cream, salt, and flour until no lumps remain.
- Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it resembles a paste that pulls away from the sides of the pan easily. It should be the consistency of smooth mashed potatoes.
- Allow mixture to cool completely.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer, beat in butter
- Add sugar, continue beating
- Add Maple Syrup, and beat until fluffy.
- Pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes, and sprinkle with pecans.
- Share with men you may or may not know.
Here's the video for "Facedriver" off their album The Fallen Kingdom.